» Latest News Updates

Global praise showered on Turkis...



Published November 30,2025

Subscribe

Turkish national uncrewed aerial vehicle (UAV or drone) KIZILELMA has become the first platform in history to successfully strike an airborne target using a beyond-visual-range (BVR) air-to-air missile, as announced on Sunday, drawing praise and attention from media outlets across the world.

Russia’s state news agency Tass reported that “KIZILELMA entered the history of world aviation as the first uncrewed combat aircraft to destroy a supersonic jet target using a BVR air-to-air missile.”

The agency emphasized the significance of the test, which was done in a test range off the Black Sea coast, near the city of Sinop.

Russian news agency RIA Novosti underlined that most UAVs are designed for air-to-ground missions.

“KIZILELMA became the first and only uncrewed platform to prove air-to-air combat capability,” it said, citing Baykar’s press release.

Chinese state-run news agency Xinhua highlighted the engineering integration behind the achievement, saying that it “demonstrates sensor fusion, radar capability, flight control algorithms, and indigenous missile technology working in harmony toward a singular goal.”

Azerbaijan’s state news agency Azertac said: “Bayraktar KIZILELMA has opened a new page in air combat with UAVs.”

The agency pointed to its cooperative ability with crewed jets and reported that Baykar’s UAVs now account for 25% of Türkiye’s total defense and aerospace exports in 2024.

Israeli journalist Amichai Stein called the test a “historic precedent in aviation,” reporting that the Bayraktar-made uncrewed fighter successfully hit a jet-powered airborne target using an air-to-air missile.

Sputnik media in Armenia, citing Selçuk Bayraktar, also echoed the milestone. “Until now, no uncrewed platform in the world had the capability to fire at airborne targets,” it said, adding that “Türkiye has opened the doors to a new aviation era.”

3 DEFENSE FIRMS COLLABORATE


Baykar confirmed that the test took place over the Black Sea near the northern province of Sinop, where a jet-powered target drone was launched as part of a scenario simulating long-range aerial combat.

KIZILELMA detected and tracked the target using its onboard AESA radar system, MURAD, produced by Turkish defense electronics company Aselsan, one of the leaders in the sector, and launched the indigenous GÖKDOĞAN BVR missile, which hit the supersonic target with precision, Baykar announced in a press release.

According to Baykar, this marks the first time in global aviation history that a combat UAV has executed a successful BVR air-to-air strike. “No other uncrewed platform has so far demonstrated this capability,” it said.

The test flight was accompanied by five F-16 fighter jets that took off from Merzifon’s 5th Main Jet Base and flew in formation with the KIZILELMA, demonstrating joint crewed-uncrewed operation capabilities.

“This historic success opens a new chapter in aerial warfare and is the result of full domestic engineering in Türkiye,” Selçuk Bayraktar, Baykar’s chair, wrote on US social media company X, adding that the achievement marks “a new era in aviation.”

KIZILELMA, developed under the MIUS combat aircraft program, has a takeoff weight of approximately 6 tons, with a payload capacity close to 2 tons. It can operate for five to six hours at altitudes up to 39,000 feet (about 11,888 meters).

KIZILELMA was first unveiled in 2022, at the TEKNOFEST aerospace and technology fair in the Turkish Black Sea city of Samsun. According to Baykar, the UAV is a fully national platform developed exclusively with company resources.

The Turkish defense firm is currently the largest UAV exporter in the world, with defense sales to 37 countries and 90% of its revenues coming from international markets.

The TB2 UCAV, an earlier Baykar product, is in active use in 36 countries worldwide.


Türkiye urges EU to revive polit...



Published November 30,2025

Subscribe

Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said on Sunday that President Recep Tayyip Erdogan has clearly expressed Ankara’s desire to join the EU, stressing that the next move must come from Brussels and that “a political will in Europe” in favor of Türkiye’s membership would resolve the remaining issues.

Speaking to German newspaper Welt am Sonntag during his visit to Berlin, Fidan said both Russia and Ukraine are now “more prepared for peace” compared to the early stages of the war.

He noted that Russian President Vladimir Putin is “ready to accept a ceasefire and a comprehensive peace agreement under certain conditions” and that this has been conveyed to Kyiv, adding that Ankara is engaging with some aspects of these efforts.

On discussions regarding security guarantees for Ukraine, Fidan underlined the difference between NATO troops and non‑NATO international observer missions.

He said the most critical element being debated is a possible US security guarantee similar to NATO’s Article 5, while European states insist Ukraine should decide such matters independently.

He also noted that Russia, on the other hand, sees the upper limit as part of its own security guarantee.

Fidan stressed that any eventual peace arrangement must ensure long‑term stability not only for Ukraine but for all of Europe.

He said proposed clauses should be examined closely and include “explicit commitments” that neither side will attack the other “for any reason,” which he argued could secure peace for decades.

Responding to a question on hybrid threats attributed to Russia, including cyberattacks and incidents involving critical infrastructure, Fidan said Türkiye has faced Russia directly in several conflict zones but maintained dialogue.

Türkiye, he said, reacts when its interests are violated but cannot afford permanent confrontation with neighbors.

On Europe’s security architecture, Fidan highlighted three key areas: the NATO‑based structure, the need to strengthen Europe’s defense industry, which the Ukraine war exposed as insufficient, and ongoing discussions about the future of US engagement in Europe.

He said countries such as the UK, France, Germany, Türkiye, and Italy should help guide this debate.

Regarding Türkiye’s EU process, Fidan said Ankara still wants full membership and expects objective progress through the opening of negotiation chapters.

He said past obstructions stemmed from the political positions of certain EU member states rather than technical criteria.

Fidan also commented on developments in Syria, saying the country is slowly recovering from economic crisis and war damage, and noted that around 500,000 Syrians have voluntarily returned from Türkiye to their home country.

He warned that regional efforts to stabilize Syria face risks stemming from Israel’s current actions.


Pope says Türkiye holds ‘importa...



Published November 27,2025

Subscribe

Pope Leo XIV on Thursday said Türkiye plays an important place in both the present and future of the Mediterranean region and the wider world, praising the country for valuing its internal diversity.

“The image of the bridge over the Dardanelles (Çanakkale) Strait, chosen as the logo for my journey, eloquently expresses your country’s special role,” the pontiff, also the Vatican head of state, said in a joint address with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan in the capital Ankara.

Leo underlined that Türkiye’s internal diversity is one of its greatest strengths, saying that even before serving as a link between Asia and Europe, “this bridge connects Türkiye to itself.”

He said true civil society is built on “bridges that link its people together” at a time when many communities worldwide are increasingly polarized and “torn apart by extreme positions that fragment them.”

He stressed that the country’s different regions and identities form a “crossroads of sensibilities,” adding that “uniformity would be an impoverishment” for any society.

The pope also emphasized that Türkiye’s Christian community seeks to play a constructive role in the country’s unity, saying: “Christians desire to contribute positively to the unity of your country.”

He said that they “are, and feel part of, Turkish identity.”

The pope also highlighted the enduring significance of the family in Turkish society, saying, “More so than in other countries, the family retains great importance in Turkish culture,” supported by a range of initiatives that reinforce its central role.

TÜRKİYE’S BRIDGING ROLE


The pope expressed hope that Türkiye will continue to serve as a stabilizing force in its region, saying: “May Türkiye be a source of stability and rapprochement between peoples, in service of a just and lasting peace.”

He mentioned how four pontiffs before him-Paul VI, John Paul II, Benedict XVI, and Francis-have visited Türkiye, which shows that the Vatican “not only maintains good relations with the Republic of Türkiye, but also desires to cooperate in building a better world with the contribution of this country, which is a bridge between East and West, between Asia and Europe, and a crossroads of cultures and religions.”

“The particular occasion of my own visit, the 1,700th anniversary of the Council of Nicaea, speaks to us of encounter and dialogue, as does the fact that the (Catholic Church’s) first eight ecumenical councils were held in the lands of present-day Türkiye,” the pope added, referring to the AD 325 Council of Nicaea, a pivotal event in early Christian history, held in what is modern-day Iznik.

RISING GLOBAL CONFLICTS


Pope Leo also warned that global conflicts could pave the way for a third world war, saying, “the future of humanity is at stake,” and so “we must in no way give in to this.”

He added that in the aftermath of the tragedies of two world wars, which saw the building of large international organizations, “we are now experiencing a phase marked by a heightened level of conflict on the global level, fueled by prevailing strategies of economic and military power.”

The pope warned that global divisions are draining energy and resources away from the challenges humanity urgently needs to confront together, which are “peace, the fight against hunger and poverty, health and education, and the protection of creation.”

He added that the Vatican, relying solely on its “spiritual and moral strength,” stands ready to work with all nations committed to the full and dignified development of every person.


Turkish construction consortium ...



Published November 27,2025

Subscribe

Under a new deal, a consortium of Turkish construction firms will be involved in a project to develop and expand the capacity of Damascus International Airport.

Turkish construction giants Kalyon İnşaat and Cengiz İnşaat, Qatari construction firm UCC, US-based Assets Investments, the Syrian Finance Ministry, and the Syrian Civil Aviation General Authority inked a deal to rehabilitate the existing airport facilities, construct new terminals, and more at Damascus International Airport.

The four-phase modernization program will boost the airport’s annual passenger capacity to over 31 million in a decade, with a total investment of around $4 billion.

The Turkish firms, Kalyon İnşaat and Cengiz İnşaat, have carried out large-scale projects in strategic sectors like energy, infrastructure, and transportation both in Türkiye and worldwide.

The current project involves a comprehensive modernization program to revive and revitalize the Syrian aviation business. The air hub is expected to host 6 million passengers by the end of 2026 with the completion of Terminals 1 and 2, while the commissioning of Terminal 3 will boost the capacity to 13 million.

After all phases of the program are completed, the airport’s total capacity will rise to 31 million. During its implementation, the project will create over 90,000 direct and indirect jobs, while positively impacting the region’s capacity for trade, tourism, and logistics.

The deal also involves $250 million in aircraft financing to renew the fleet and boost the air hub’s operational capacity on international routes.

FROM IGA ISTANBUL AIRPORT TO DAMASCUS


Murathan Kalyoncu, the chair of Kalyon İnşaat, said in a statement that the firm is now moving forward with investments outside of Türkiye after having completed significant projects at home.

“We are now moving forward to implement this project, which will significantly contribute to the Syrian economy, regional development, and stability,” he said.

Kalyon previously implemented a globally acclaimed project, the IGA Istanbul Airport, in record time, and now the firm is ready to put their expertise in service of Syria, he said.

Kalyoncu added that the investment will modernize and expand Damascus International Airport and contribute to the development of Syria’s services sector, diversify transport options, boost employment, revitalize tourism, and open the Syrian business world to the outside world.

Asım Cengiz, the deputy chair of Cengiz İnşaat, said that the project is a key step in bringing Syria’s aviation infrastructure back to international standards.

“We will bring a safe, modern, and high-capacity airport with our expertise and global experience — this investment will revive the region’s trade and transportation network, while reflecting our determination to support the normalization of life in Syria and its long-term development goals,” he said.

“We aim to create a resilient, modern, and sustainable aviation infrastructure that can meet Syria’s future needs,” he added.


Winamp

Media Player

HD

Real Player

Live Request

LISTEN LIVE